View Single Post
Old 2008-02-15, 02:16   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesince83 View Post
I would argue that to this point the series has moved comparatively slow, and extending the amount of episodes to cover the same content would have only proved to mire the plot in further inconsequential and tedious economic conflict.

In other words, Spice and Wolf is at it's core a romance and since there isn't much action, the remaining filler between romantic moments usually ends up being dull economic dialogue. Occasionally it's been used as a means to develop the relationship for Horo and Lawrence, but on average it's just straight forward plot. At the end of the day does anyone care if Lawrence gets rich or ends up being swindled by some count? Or for that matter how it happens? No, because it doesn't matter. What's important is the development between him and Horo which doesn't need 24 episodes to drag out.
True, the romance may be the core ... but if that is the case, the interactions between them in the novel, the *portrayal* of their relationship, gets a bit whacked in only 12 episodes.

Its like the difference between the first 12 episode Kanon and the recent 24 episode version. The 12 episode version left out so much of the character interplay that whatever its merits - it was left as a "teaser" to the story rather than a full reading.

I guess "slow" is a matter of opinion though as is the opinion on whether mercantile conflict and intrigue is "dull and boring". I think the latter is kind of refreshing.