View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 06:05   Link #501
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
didn't some people also test a plate armor vest with archers equipped with the English longbow firing arrows that had the most deadly AP arrowhead design (I think it was taken from all 3 crusades, the French and their crossbow bolt head design, and this weird-ass design that was simple a long spike instead of an arrowhead)? one thing I lol'd about Agincourt was, yes, the muddy terrain. to add, I think it was during the crusades that arrow hails and medium range skirmishes were rampant since Saladin was frequently employing them.

The tests concluded that unless it's fired from point-blank range, longbow arrows had no effect on plate armour in general after 1350 unless it's a bodkin arrow. And even using this type of arrow, the actual wound on the wearer of the armour is negligible--the armour absorbed most of the damage already.This is why after 1350, archers switched from shooting the knights to shooting their horses. But even then, not everyone wears plate armour. You had to be extremely wealthy to wear plate armour, and there's no way your normal levy can wear that.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote