View Single Post
Old 2013-04-21, 00:58   Link #90
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Hachiman shares a student teacher relationship with the teacher. Sure, she drags him into all sorts of things like using his sister to trick Hachiman into volunteering for summer camp, and they also went out for ramen together out of coincidence... but for the most part it still a troubled student being victimized by a teacher who is still single in her 30s... (why would people actually expect something to spawn between the two?)

Character relationship is too complicated in the LN: you have more simplistic ones such as Yui obvious trying to hit on Hachiman, and more subtle ones such as one between Yukino and Hachiman where (as of mid-late v5, that's my current progress) there are clues/other little things but does not necessary point to a romantic interest.

Note that Hachiman still rejects xor does not get the hints Yui may have given him: he tries to keep his solitude.

The only obvious bidirectional relationship that keeps growing is still Hachiman and Saika...... which ofc will never bear any fruit but I guess is used for comedy. Sadly I am tired of Saika spending time alone with Hachiman without using him as a tool to build his relationship up with others (esp the girls).

Komachi is an obvious brocon. At first I thought she might be on the Yukino camp, but after what happened in v5 I think she only wants to give any girl a chance to get closer to her brother.

Haruno is an interesting character. I originally was attracted to her looks in an illustration (high class girl who is cheerful), but she comes off partially mischievous with a rather calculated attitude. Hachiman saw through her facade easily though and also understand her duty as the elder daughter of someone in a position of power. While Haruno likes to tease Hachiman and Yukino, I feel she acts as the other mouth of Yukino: giving us a look into Yukino's past and personal life...

When she saw Yui and Hachiman at the fireworks together, she mentioned
"......yukino-chan, isn't chosen again"
which may be a lead to some revelation in the future.

Either way, whether or not Hachiman like it, he has slowly been getting involved and changing the lives of people around him. These ties of friendship is something he still try to avoid and deny but I think eventually he must surrender his solitude and accept the existence of his high school friends.

Edit:
end of 5.6: seem like Yui was about to confess then her mother called... lol
I would like to see someone else confess and shatter Hachiman's shelter: his problem in the past was that he was oversensitive and thinks a girl likes him just because of friendly interaction: what if someone is serious in going out with him? He can no longer use those puny excuses.

I really like the start of 5.7 where Hachiman recalls everyone's opinion on Yukino.

The end of v5 is quite... thought inducing. The illustration makes the moment feel heartbreaking (they are just heading to different classrooms).

Love the cover of v6. Story seem to take a peek at the relationship between Yukino and Hachiman.

Last edited by Flying Dagger; 2013-04-21 at 01:58.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote