Thread: Licensed Claymore Manga
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-04, 16:30   Link #446
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post
Really? Eating humans, chopping off humans and monsters alike to pieces are still quite above other normal shounen in my book. What kind of shounen do you read exactly?
Well, shounen is a wide demographics. It contains a 11 years boys as well as 19 years high school / college students. Compare Berserk (seinen), Claymore (older shounen) and Fairy Tail (young shounen), or compare Bitter Virgin (seinen), Good Ending (older shounen) and Ichigo 100% (young shounen). Both in Berserk and Claymore there is rape, including child rape. In Berserk it's directly shown, while in Claymore it's just indirectly mentioned. In Berserk, Claymore and Fairy Tail people are dying. In Berserk anyone could die, and it's shown in graphic, usually gruesome way, in Claymore people are dying, but with few exceptions (Teresa and Jean) only secondary characters die, and in a way less graphic way than in Berserk. In Fairy Tail only bad people die and usually off screen. Another difference between shounen and seinen. In shounen manga heroes wins if they're determined and eager to cooperation. In Fairy Tail price for victory (and "determination level") is usually a few bruises, in Claymore to win heroes has to sacrifice something, In Berserk heroes determination and sacrifice means nothing when enemies are stronger. Guts cuts his own arm to save Caska but failed, for example.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote