View Single Post
Old 2012-10-17, 10:23   Link #142
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
No, just... no.

A GM have access to gm tools to check their databases and logs to investigate claims, and while they can certainly spawn/create items and whatnot using said tools, those are existing items in game - no GM can create a brand new item that never existed in the game before, complete with its own art assets, out of nowhere. GM are low level customer service employees, they are NOT game developers, they don't get to put their little hands all over the code and create/modify things.

This I would have to defer to someone who has actually worked as a GM for an MMO, but while low level GM tool may be something that's built-in to a special GM client, I would imagine the majority of the GM work are done outside the game client via specific programs with access to the game server. The idea that a GM or game dev would have log in to the game and use a in-game object to access their tool (or ever feel that such a thing would be necessary) is simply preposterous.

I mean, just think, you make a GM call saying your character is stuck at so and so, and the GM responds "sorry dude, lemme fly over to the crystal tower first and get to the hidden room, my gm access panel is there"
You missed a couple of points: number 1, an item that Kirito did is not just some petty SAO item from the developer's game for the game, it's something like an item that's local to one's NervGear but can be displayed / tied to SAO. In other words, a dummy item -- an environmental item.

Second, the one Yui accessed was an EMERGENCY GM Access Panel, which means that it's for EMERGENCY purposes only, like when suddenly your GM Panel Options starts bugging, etc. Remember that the ONLY way we know to actually monitor / develop the game seems to be actually being there. Basically, saying that game objects aren't supposed to be created in SAO is like saying Windows 8 applications aren't supposed to be developed in Windows 8 (remember guys, they're proprietary and use only one software to build apps... and it ONLY utilizes Windows 8 for testing purposes duh.) Of course it's possible to create the game out-console, but isn't it more viable to do it in-console?

...oh and that idea of a GM or game dev would have log in to the game and use a in-game object to access their tool (or ever feel that such a thing would be necessary) is simply preposterous...? It's in the Eclipse MMO Engine (with a temporary GM/Mod/Developer item)... it's in the xtremeWorlds Engine (well not really but everything is done in-game -- as in the generic game client)... it's in many many more Engines actually...
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote