View Single Post
Old 2008-10-31, 00:52   Link #305
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Actually no, he said "So Ranka did betray humanity". I take it you are referencing that scene where giant Ranka overwhelmed the Macross Frontier fleet?
I'm not sure if it's a fansub issue, but the line is on episode 25, when Ranka starts singing for the fleet way before Alto is able to save her. Upon hearing her song, the vajra change mood, and the command center notices this. Then someone throws us that line.

The exact translation by gg is: "What?! Ranka didn't betray humanity?" Well, the truth is, she didn't betray them but it also sort of demonstrates what I was talking about.

I think no one is actually blaming Ranka for not knowing anything. Actually, she does know about the power of her song, but trauma has affected her past memories. However, she gets to remember and understand towards the end, and the question is now regarding what will she do about it. Instead of asking that question, the series paints her as a victim of circumstance... and she remains that way.

Now Sheryl gets the short end of the stick too, but while Sheryl is left to pick up the pieces of her life with Alto's support, Ranka goes on a so called coming of age journey with Brera. All well and good, and something that I actually welcomed, but the problem is it gets cut short with Grace coming to pick them up. Due to this, I don't get the impression that Ranka has gone full circle with that. Something is just lacking.

It's not that Ranka isn't held accountable for anything at all, but rather by the dictates of the story it's as if you really can't. In the end, that's what disappoints me even more.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-10-31 at 01:10.