View Single Post
Old 2010-12-04, 14:44   Link #17
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickketik View Post
As if that's a bad thing. A Complex design doesn't equal originality. Simplicity almost always dose, because there is usually no other way.

and most of Okawara work aren't all that simple to begin with, compared to other designers from this industry.
I would agree with the whole simple is clean, less is more ideology...usually. But this really doesn't apply to Okawara...at least not now.

Impulse, which is an extreme bastardization of the Strike design. Extremely hideous with a ridiculous combination gimmick that's so stupid they didn't even try. It's basically just...literally...splitting the gundam into three parts...no transformation required. Then his PS armor changes to different colors which are ridiculously ugly...I mean look at Launcher Impulse (forgot his real name)....what the hell is up with that color scheme oh my god.

Then here comes Destiny, the title mech of the series. It's a real freaking shame that its the title mech and you can tell almost no design philosophy or thought went through his mind when he designed poor Destiny. Destiny doesn't even look like a "complete" Mobile Suit, he just looks like a chimera of different gimmicks stuffed into one. First they gave him all the Strike packs, then gave him all the special gimmicks that OTHER main Gundams sported in their OWN series...such as Shinning Finger, Wings of Light and F91's mirage images. Like...wow they didn't even try with this guy. It's a real shame too since Destiny's face is actually quite original in Gundam designs (with the tears on his eyes and all that) but the rest of him is just complete utter crap.

Don't tell me they are homages to older series, that's just a poor excuse. When you want to do an homage you can do it with style and thought like Trans-Am in 00 as an homage to Char. Don't even get me started on Raider, Forbidden, and all the other ugly crap. As much as I dislike Seed I actually agree that there are plenty of beautiful designs from CE....but I guarantee you most of the sexy ones didn't come from Okawara.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote