View Single Post
Old 2012-08-14, 08:42   Link #89
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
9 times out of 10 when a girl has a dark past, hates guys, cant talk etc the reason is always rape and if you guys cant see that then you are really lucky with everything youve read. ive dropped many series cause of this very reason, if its not a hentai and it has rape i drop it straight away, just like that yuugi something show where her best friend was supporting her throughout the series then as soon as shes tranported there she got raped then turned evil...........arrg i hate that crap!!!
Substantiate your freaking claims first.
Rape does exist in manga and anime. Just like every other theme or story or event does.
Statistically speaking, that doesn't mean it is pervasive.
ACTION and COMEDY and CHILDHOOD FRIENDs and PARENTS NOT THERE are more pervasive. You could say that violence solving conflict are far more pervasive than rape. No one complains about that.
If you drop it, who cares? That doesn't mean that crap is pervasive. It just means you're oversensitive.
Like I said, one guy tallied up (using the DVD/BD sales wiki) all the airing anime in THIS YEAR ALONE (which is not over yet) and out of the 120+ anime titles, only 5 or 6 dealt with rape.
Quote:
any this one scene didnt really do anything in blacksmith apart from wasting 2 chapters and maybe making luke relize he likes her...maybe
Are you serious?
It showed Cecily that she is not strong the way that she is. Her getting beaten up before never showed that to her. She never felt this helpless or disgusted even when she got beaten before. In this one moment, Siegfried taught her how powerless she was, because he crushed Cecily's bright outlook of hope and trust that her ideals will always prevail. He showed her that power > flowery ideals. That ideals cannot do anything if you lack the power to do anything.

Wasting? EVERY theme and story is wasted. Characters fight. Characters tease. Characters do things and things happen to them.

If the aftereffects of this event didn't really do anything at all, then every other written event in any anime/manga/novel didn't do anything at all. By your logic, EVERY chapter/episode is wasted because most themes don't really do anything at all due to your criteria.

Characters fighting is useless. Characters being peaceful is useless. Characters having conflict is useless. Characters doing anything is useless. Everything in wasted afterwards.

That's me putting your criteria and spreading it to EVERY theme and event other than rape. Because that's what rape is. Just an event. It's like with war, murder, assassination, duels, and every other bad thing that has ever happened in human history (and some of you go F YEAH when we have mobile suits destroying each other in bloody fights because BAD-ASS). I could even apply that to every other good thing as well, just to make your argument look like crap that a "certain" theme is something that's off-limits to be written or discussed in what an author wants to write using some asinine reason.

That said, if you don't like it, then don't read it. Drop this series now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
I believe the argument of this is more geared towards chastising "rape" as a means of character development through the ease of its use.
Well, every other theme is easily used to develop other characters.
Violence. Trauma. Accidents. Emotional baggage. Parents (or lack of). War. Murder. Debts.
Everything is easily used.
But only Rape is chastised.
I can understand why people would not want a story like that.
But saying that it's easy, overused, or not original is a very weak argument. Because every other theme has been more used than that to develop other characters.

If you hate it, use a real honest argument: "I hate [x] so that's why I don't like it in what I read."
I just hate it when people have to freaking lie to sound like they have good taste, when they're just being pretentious as heck as well as idiotic by making false claims.

Last edited by Nanaya; 2012-08-14 at 08:56.
Nanaya is offline   Reply With Quote