View Single Post
Old 2010-06-18, 01:29   Link #1225
Aaerul

I went over nihonreview.com, saw their angel Beats thread, proceeded to skim through it.

http://www.nihonreview.com/forum/ind...?topic=1380.75

Then to my horror, what I read was 6 pages of the worst kind of bloodspitting hatemail worth of discussion. There is literally not a single person who had anything positive to say, nevermind that the humour in Angel Beats is probably the most inventive and original out of all the other comedy shows this season.

So I made a post. I don't disagree with their criticism but I'm just not entirely satisfied with their complete dismissal of the show (lumping it together amongst trash like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou). Their opinions I felt were skewed.

The characters in Angel Beats ARE likeable, to me. The flashbacks are hit and miss, and some episodes are just plain cheesy. But I would say most of this show is comprised of comedy and only segments are presented dripping with melodramatic juice. I speak of the lighter moments, the hilarious scenarios (baseball game, rocket chair). I got the same light-romp-through-high-school feeling I had while playing Little Busters. It is pronounces Maeda's true talents his ability to write endearing characters and entwine them in comedy. All of THAT did it for me. Angel Beats is plain fun. Nihonreview is wrong!
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote