View Single Post
Old 2007-12-27, 12:21   Link #3
Yesmilord

I'll have to agree about School Days. Now every time I watch a High School romance drama I'm half expecting everything to go wrong :P

I had recently just gone on a romance/drama binge, so I had a lot to compare from. Myself; Yourself deserves nothing more than a plain ol' 6. The story was decent but had some serious flaws to begin with (especially regarding Sana and Nanaka). One good point about the story, however, is that it resolves most cases. In the end, even though I did feel a bit disappointed by the anime's blandness, I at least had the reassurance to know the fate of most of the major characters (even though the time-skip was terrible).

Character development was highly inconsistent. Some characters would all of a sudden spike in the spotlight (Asami) or just be there...for the sake of being there (Yuzuki Sensei). Even the main characters felt a bit cheated of screen time and the romance that spawned between Sana and Nanaka didn't feel very deep nor fully developed (so, we both cut ourselves...wanna hook up?). The best part about this series, however, was definitely the relationship between the twins. I've never seen such a unique relationship. You could see, all the way from the beginning, slight hints towards Shuusuke's affection for his sister (specifically during the Hinako arc, when he's being interrogated by Sana about what kind of women he likes and Shuusuke's rejection to Hinako). I've never condoned sibling love nor incest in animes, but the connections between Shuusuke and Shuri was unbelievably profound and strong. How the entire situation unfolded between the two was very well done and if I keep anything from watching this anime, it'll definitely be the relationship of the twins.

The animation quality was fairly well done, I didn't feel impressed nor cheated, so everything was perfect for a drama anime. The music was pretty good, the OP and ED will stick with me for a while.

Overall, the series didn't leave its mark in my book. It was an entertaining ride, but not something I'd readily recommend to my friends. I think I've just seen too much better stuff to be impressed by the mellow and mediocre.
Yesmilord is offline   Reply With Quote