View Single Post
Old 2010-02-08, 02:54   Link #136
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Not a bad little theory, I have a few myself, as you are right, I dont think pride is the only issue (although it still presents its own issues to her admitting she may be wrong), her past definately comes into it, there is something she is obviously afraid of, whether it is directly related to Lawrence or a dark past of some kind, I dont know, in fact I almost feel a sense she is incredibly afraid of betrayal, something that has already happened to her at least once that we know of.

I still 100% believe she already loves Lawrence despite any recent conflict/confusion, however there is obviously some major emotional baggage causing her to struggle with it, and I do distinctly believe the 'I...' part of the conversation was her honestly struggling with herself and wanting to say it but not quite managing. (She had already admitted asking Deanna to tell Lawrence a fake story so they would continue travelling together even if Yoitsu was gone)

I think she realised just how hard it was for Lawrence to both admit his feelings and to give up his old dream, given his own personality, which may also have given her some personal reflection and re-evaluation to do, especially as she is well aware of his relative lifespan, and just how few chances he may get to personally fulfil that dream. To fully throw it away for the chance to travel with her reflects just how much of a personal investment he is willing to make, and has decided to make, which is partially why she accepted they continue together as long as he is willing to accept responsibility for what may happen or be discovered later on. He has basically accepted the principle tenet and implication that wolves mate for life and demonstrated there is nothing more central to his character anymore, and his previous desires now all come second, his dream is no longer his shop but her and he has the conviction to follow said dream.
In line with this line of thought notice how she accepts and comments that he must attempt to recover what he has lost because it would not be acceptable for the partner of the wise wolf to run away with his tale between his legs? Im pretty sure the whole partner implication is no longer that of a business partner.
You almost have to feel sorry for what might happen to Boland if Horo DOES catch her, we already know from season one she has a slight temper in wolf form, and her human emotions are very raw.

For all her fear, confusion and bluster, the holding hands with fingers intertwined rather than loosely is definately a more obvious sign of more than affection though, on both thier behalfs. Horo is a very complex character.

I really hope they do a 3rd season if not more, or at least translate all the novels, I would very much like to see what happens, as there is a lot unresolved.

PS one of my other theories is the possibilities of whatever happens to mortal who enters into a relationship with a deity/spirit? Is it possible that they too may become something more than human if certain conditions are met however if not such a process may kill them? This would again tie with her fears as it may have killed the last human she loved, and she is convinced it might kill Lawrence? Not only would she be alone but it would be her own doing.

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-02-08 at 03:42.