View Single Post
Old 2010-08-12, 10:14   Link #35
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
Apparently the guy that worked at EB Games had no clue what he was doing (Obviously)

So let's call him Bob
My conclusion is, Bob just stands behind the counter all day long, only knows about "exploding testosterone" games like "Master-Chief-will-bust-you-up-I-planted-the-bomb-ow-yeah".
When a person walks into the store and asks for a game (that he does not know about) Bob looks at the ESRB rating and judges the game by that.

What does the box say about Persona 3?

Now what this guy sees, is an M for mature
What does mature mean in this Bob's head?

Now Bob has to use the corn in his brain and starts thinking.
"Wait a sec, t-this has an age limit! It's Japanese! It's mature! Must be some shit H-game, better ask him for his age!"

This is only what I can imagine happened, but it's like this all across northen America, you've got strange new games with uncertain markets,
You don't know for sure if it will sell or not, but you still take the chance of setting it up in the store.

Then even if it reaches the stores, you've got Bob here who doesn't know what to do, as "Lulz pwnt" is the only roleplaying he's ever done, so he judges on what he thinks it's about, thus forming his judgement and discouraging new people who might be interested in trying the game out by going "No way dude, if you try that out, your eyesockets will melt off, here, try this game with a half naked Spartan who wrestles big giant other men, much more manlier!"

This is what's wrong at the moment, you've got Bob in the store, scaring away new customers, and then complaining back at his boss "Yeah chief, those games ain't selling, I told you they were no good"
The Sillyness of Bob part 1

But really, hiring someone that question's people for what game they are going to buy is really going to make you lose business.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote