View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 17:33   Link #129
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You write this as those it's strange. Many kids, and even many adults, compartmentalize in this way. Most people have sides to themselves, or personal background details, that they don't share with casual friends (which is all Shinka and Kumin are to Rikka).
You're forgetting Dekomori. Until Yuuta, her best friend.

Quote:
This would have been a problem, if most people caught on to the "pretending". But, IIRC, they didn't. IIRC, they thought that Rikka really did have health concerns.
Was Rikka pretending or delusional?

Quote:
I never said it did translate into that. I'm simply saying that she doesn't need to rid herself of chuunibyou entirely.
From reading around of what you have said. I think there is some misunderstanding between us all.

So why not a nice table?
Rikka's
Chuunibyou actionsOkay
Chuunibyou delusional realityNot okay
Motivations for delusional realityReally not okay

Quote:
There's a difference between "realistic" and "serious".

Case in point: Superman is obviously not realistic. I doubt any real world science will show you that going from living under a red son to living under a yellow sun will turn you into a god among men.

However, Superman is a serious character. His stories generally aren't made to make you laugh.
Even with that distinction made, I don't really think that Dekomori's actions are not realistic. She's breaking down and is trying to cope, sorta like Rikka, but more temporary.

Quote:
So do you think Chuu2 is arguing that escapism is always wrong? Totally invalid?
I think Chuu2's point is that you shouldn't run away from reality. That isn't "escapism is always wrong," it's "escapism shouldn't be used as a coping mechanism."

Quote:
You guys really ought to quit the absurd alcoholism and heroine analogies. They just make you look like your desperately grasping at straws to me.
They are all coping mechanisms. As for seriousness, I think that losing grasp of reality completely is nearly as bad as alcoholism.

Let's say someone nukes my hometown. I can't accept reality, and run around acting like the event never happened, and that all my emails back to my family are not being replied to because of a vast government conspiracy, and am dedicated to seeing my family again.

That is exactly what Rikka is doing. Making up a reality where her father is still alive, then proceeding to reject the one around her in favor of it.

It's not hurting my physical body like drugs would, but it's still very very bad.

Quote:
Why is it so hard to think that Rikka should re-embrace some chuunibyou? In a rehabilitated format?
I think Rikka can, and it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure that it would work out well. Depends on her really.

Quote:
That's not a "delusion". That's an opinion. People can legitimately disagree on what's "cool" or not. There's nothing "delusional" about Yuuta and Rikka finding some chuunibyou items "cool".
Okay wrong word choice on my part. However, Rikka's chuunibyou wasn't just finding something cool, it was a rejecting reality.

Quote:
Yeah, that's why the Batman movies, the Transformer movies, the Avengers movie, and other such "geek culture" movies are selling so phenomenally well.
All those are mainstream now. Call me back when Kodomo no Jikan sells phenomenally well.

Quote:
Some people think it's strange, sure, but millions upon millions of people embrace it. Just keep your present company in mind, and it's all good.
That's with everything. I think people obsessed with sports are weird.

The problem is when the people that look down on it so greatly outnumber those who don't. Then "keeping present company in mind" means "don't do it at any place where it isn't you and your best buds alone."

Quote:
As for LARPers, many view them as weird, sure. Does that stop them from functioning in society? I'm sure many LARPers are in decent jobs and/or have good stable families.
I was never saying that they can't function in society.

I'm saying that boldly associating yourself with LARPing will probably get you a lot more weird looks than friends.

Maybe LARPing isn't weird enough for you for my example. So how about this one, lolicon. Would you suggest that I should openly tell people irl, "I like looking at cartoons of underage girls as it turns me on a lot."