View Single Post
Old 2013-10-22, 15:04   Link #2286
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I really wish I could just say to a customer "It wasn't my fault, we just hired the guy that screwed up". That's never worked well in my experience though even if I successfully convince people it's someone else's fault.

Coming as someone that gets yelled at a lot for assigning people that screwed up, I can't say I care for such distinctions. A screw up on the company's worker part, is the company's fault. And the ones on top will pay regardless of who's at fault. Case in point-- people on Yelp don't review individuals. The lost revenue from mishaps is still lost revenue regardless of who did it. Doesn't matter if you fire the one at fault if the customer's trust is already hurt. I'd like to hear more from the numerous armchair businessmen on the internet though.

There's those outlier cases where the employee went crazy or some shit, and sure in those cases you can't blame the business. I don't think we're discussing that.

Blame shifting is just a business/politics game in which you try to avoid the axe. I do it all the time, but in reality most of us know we're just kidding ourselves. It has no place in legitimate discussions. This is why they always try to blame the customer.

We can go on about how things are out of one's control and they are but a cog in the machine, but ultimately this is true of most jobs. This view is akin to scrunching against a building with a magnifying glass and deciding this is the truth. Missing the forrest for the trees, eh? And the truth is that a manager that hires subpar employees didn't do a good job of hiring. This is exactly why we view these entities as a whole; blaming the cogs isn't very meaningful. "Windows didn't crash, explorer.exe did!"

And none of this makes Kyoto Animation any better or worse. There's no point in trying to shift blame or praise away or from stuff; what matters is the product that comes out.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-10-22 at 15:22.