View Single Post
Old 2007-03-06, 01:27   Link #23
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

30 Days with Ubuntu Linux

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl.../03/05/1343223

This is a Slashdot discussion of a linked article from a magazine that targets the overclocking, hot rod crowd. The article itself was well worth reading if you're considering converting to Linux; some of the comments from the Slashdotters are helpful as well, but you have to look a bit.

Many of the problems the article's author reports came from installing on a 64-bit platform. (That was his "old" machine; his newer testbed is naturally also 64-bit.) That probably fits the magazine's audience, but not the real target audience for Linux conversions. Converters are often trying to extend the life of their current hardware by replacing the operating system. I doubt 64-bit compatibility is a big issue for most of them.

Overall, though, the review is quite positive with glowing praise in particular for Ubuntu's package management tools. The usual list of negatives appear: lack of games, lack of drivers (in this case for a recently-released on-board gigabit card), location and installation of non-free items like video drivers and media codecs, and, in his case, printer support. (More surprising to me was that he had problems with an HP printer. HP provides quite good support for Linux including open-sourced drivers.)

He recommends a dual-boot solution for gamers but had considerable problems setting it up. He chose to repartition the original drive which is always much more complicated and error-prone than using two disks. Which brings me to ...

@ Ledgem
Quote:
my controller is an nforce3 250
As always, Google is your friend. A search for "nforce3 linux" turned up the nforcershq.com site and this forum posting. From "pinky's" response in this thread, I'd say you'd be fine:

"i've had gentoo(64 bit), fedora(32 bit), and ubuntu(both 64 and 32) more or less successfully running on a dfi nf3 250gb, if that helps... "

The "more or less" part is, admittedly, a bit disturbing
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote