View Single Post
Old 2007-03-07, 00:55   Link #27
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
@ Ledgem

As always, Google is your friend. A search for "nforce3 linux" turned up the nforcershq.com site and this forum posting. From "pinky's" response in this thread, I'd say you'd be fine:

"i've had gentoo(64 bit), fedora(32 bit), and ubuntu(both 64 and 32) more or less successfully running on a dfi nf3 250gb, if that helps... "
Oops, that makes me look like a newbie. Thanks much, I appreciate it. To be honest, I was Googling for it and kept the term "opensuse" in there as well. There weren't many hits doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
@ Ledgem

Wow this sure is becoming a trend lately.
Why is it that if "Vista is totally disappointing" suddenly Xp with ought changing a tiny bit "becomes just as disappointing" And why is it that since MS releases some retarded os you want to stop using all your windows only programs etc. which you sound like you are dependent on and want to convert to Linux and say welcome to a hole host of head aches and iches.

No offense intended, but I just had to ask, your logic makes no sense. I have to use Linux and know all the idiotic garbage built into Linux and it's distributions and I don't get all the enthusiasm people have to switching to it. Sure it is technicality faster in percentage terms, but that really equals a few seconds over a day which doesn't account for all the trouble you face with it for every little thing. and it's lack of polish.
I didn't really understand the first part about what's suddenly happening to XP. And no offense taken; I can understand your confusion. If someone said to me, "hey, Windows XP works great for me, but I hate the next version of the operating system! I'm changing this instant!" I'd ask them what on earth they were up to. Just because a new version comes out doesn't mean you need to upgrade. People still use Windows 2000, and do so because they claim it's more stable than XP.

I may not have made it clear enough, but I'm not switching to Linux and never looking back just yet. One of my concerns that I voiced in this thread was being able to access files on a Linux partition from Windows. I asked that because I definitely foresee myself returning to Windows for at least a few programs (Photoshop, MS Office). At the same time, the programs that I use on a day-to-day basis - GAIM, Opera, Winamp - either have versions in Linux, or equivalents. I'm not the power-user I once was. Sadly enough, I can now place myself in that category of people who just use the internet to "check email and browse the web" (ugh, makes me sound like some 90 year old web user).

Why switch to Linux now, of all times? Because I see that Vista is something I'll never allow on any of my systems, and I don't think I'll be on XP forever. At the same time, I'm nearing the end of my college days. I thought I couldn't get any busier than I am now, but looking ahead into what's to come, I may very well be wrong. I need my computer to function flawlessly almost all of the time, because I no longer have the time to tinker with it. I love tinkering, but I could easily consume a weekend doing that, and that's time I can't afford. The point is, if it's hard enough for me to do that timing now, it'll be nearly impossible later.

So think of this as an investment and an experment. I tried to use Linux two years ago, and it was a total bust. This time around, I'll have an isolated HD for Linux alone, and I also have hardware that makes rebooting painless. I'll suffer a hit to my productivity initially, but I'm banking on overcoming it.

Also, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I really want Beryl. I want an OS that looks pretty, so that every now and then I can just enjoy watching it. I don't want a Mac system because I still like to tinker with hardware every now and then (my father and sister are Mac people, by the way). Vista has it now, but it also has a bunch of other "features" that I absolutely don't want and can't remove.

And yeah, I wouldn't mind an efficient operating system where I can relax about viruses and spyware. I've been using Windows heavily since Win95 (I remember Windows 3.11, but the computer I had access to back then was a Mac) - I've crashed my computer about four times since I started using Windows. I've never had issues with viruses, and only once with spyware. I'm not a novice to this stuff. But I do get tired of it. It's again partially due to lack of time (I can't go rebuilding my OS on a whim) and that the data on my computer is now much more valuable than it once was when my computer was just a fun toy and communication device. It's a business tool now.

Even if I wanted to switch fully to Linux, I can't (as far as I know) because my smartphone runs Windows Mobile. Unless I can synchronize it with my computer in Linux, I'm attached to Windows at least for that. (See if my next smartphone will run an OS that can't work with other operating systems!)

My four current hard drives will remain NTFS partitioned, but the fifth add-in will belong to Linux. This is purely an experiment and learning experience, and I'm just planning far in advance. I don't recommend that every single person convert to Linux - I like to give the Mac boys a hard time, but at the end of the day, I'll always say that you should use the operating system that best fits your needs. If you like Windows, Cats, more power to you. Just don't make it a pride issue - if another OS offers you something better, take it. Operating systems and computers aren't sports teams, they're tools to enhance your life and make it easier/more productive. If your computer can do better, you're cheating yourself.