View Single Post
Old 2007-03-08, 08:02   Link #36
Ending

Quote:
Oh! So 20+ hours of your life are worth $400? Man, you're expensive.
20 x 15 = 300 € ($400). That's 20 hours of hard-earned cash lost to pulling hairs out of your head. Which you can start doing only if you know your way with computers in any case. By the way, I have never actually paid anything of my OS. Yes, I'm a stinker and proud of it.

Quote:
You being used to working with computers and doing little programming and such even dares to say that O.o
Command-prompts isn't any more l77t than GUI. Both do the same thing: offer the user a way to interact with the computer. Of these two, GUI is the one which is more easily accessible by a wider variety of people, which is naturally a good thing. After all, OS shouldn't be visible otherwise than helping you to the programs that do the stuff you want.

Quote:
I suppose the only big problem with the commandline is that in many cases for Linux, it becomes a requirement.
That's what I have been telling you. Linux is supposed to have a real GUI, but in reality you have to resort to the, hss!, command-prompt the moment you want your soundcard working. Or anything that requires a driver or, worse, compiling a source-code into a usable exec.

Thousand dollar question to all computer illiterate here: do you know how where to get the source-code of a (any) video-player, compile it, and get it to work with sounds, video, and subtitles? Knew you wouldn't.

Quote:
Linux is free. It doesn't cost you anything to try it out. And it really is getting better all the time.
It's getting better in some ways, probably, but the problems it harbours are the same as ten years ago: poor usability and lack of support. Until those are solved, I don't see why people should go beyond trying out the live-DVD versions.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote