View Single Post
Old 2006-12-12, 07:30   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well it makes sense. The most widespread and still biggest selling home console is the PS2, but continuing to develop games for the PS2 until well in the future makes it seem like you're not trusting the next-gen platforms. Plus while sales might be okay now, they'll plumet at some point in the future once the next-gen systems become readily available.

However for DQ9 to be released on PS3 would require much more effort and money to get it to look great on PS3, while right now the userbase is pretty bad with probably less PS3s sold in Japan than Xbox360's, which kinda tells something. Worse, due to manufacturing shortages this probably won't improve drastically in the future.

Switching to Xbox360 would have had the same problems as PS3 (and with worse future prospect). Wii might have been an option, but I suppose companies are still weary considering how popular the GameCube turned out to be.

So that leaves moving to a portable system, and with Square-Enix already having produces a number of GBA and DS titles recently, it made sense to pick the DS instead of the PSP.

I suppose more game companies are wondering "which horse to bet on", as PS3 will likely gain some success despite it's price, but at the current rate it'll take some time, Xbox360 doesn't play a role in Japan and companies might still not entirely be convinced by the Wii.

Personally I wouldn't mind of more companies that simply don't have the funds to produce PS3 quality graphics for their games switch to the Wii though. I suspect there are quite a few game companies like that out there too, like Nipponichi: can you imagine a PS3 version of Disgaea?
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote