View Single Post
Old 2012-05-16, 13:14   Link #108
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
No, that's not what I meant. It was never a question that she likes Amata, the only question was whether she likes him enough and/or whether Kagura would affect that. (And frankly, in a way it's still up in the air, if for nothing else then for the "shock value.")

This has been getting more clear recently, at least to me. It's not simply just drag, it's starting to make sense. I'm not sure if the writers are on the same track as me so I'd rather keep it to myself so I won't jinx it, but I think if you look at Mikono's development lately it's getting pretty clear. Obviously it hasn't been handled particularly well, due to Mikono getting shoved into the background way too often, but we've already discussed those issues.
See, this is a bit suspect because for a long time the story was focused on Amata acting towards Mikono, whereas she was in her perpetual Kagura/Amata limbo. The thing with ShuShu's reveal builds on something that we had already gone over in Ep. 9, where Mikono is confronted (by Sazanka then) about dating Amata. The scene is fairly similar to what we have later with Yunoha and ShuShu in Ep. 19, but they use ShuShu as a device to illuminate Mikono's feelings. Many times in this show, her character has felt like its been retreading old ground. Over and over. (Her actions in Ep. 9 brings in the line for Zessica to *take Amata* on the basis that Mikono doesn't do anything, this is a classic lampshade hanging if I've ever seen it, pointing out a major flaw in Mikono. Ep. 19 perpetuates this same thing because, once again, Mikono just furthers the non-conclusion of her relationship with Amata.)

Mikono's limbo climaxed at Ep. 15, was mentioned in Ep. 16... and then disappeared entirely along with Kagura (poof). They've recently started building on Mikono towards Amata more actively but the method is questionable. The realization/revelation with Cayenne, as it was presented, concerning Amata felt utterly bizarre with a reaction from Mikono as if she hadn't realized it. Her subsequent action in Ep. 19 continues to push on this same, somewhat, *taking for granted* build up because, as I mentioned, the action (even if its a staple of fiction, but usually used for a bittersweet conclusion or deconstruction of certain tropes) assumes that nothing will happen to Amata which is, much like her logic in Ep. 16, just plain stupid or verging on being able to see the future because of *plot*.

This is what annoys me.

Contrast this show with Mashifony for a recent drama done exceptionally well; this just feels like crap and very little is clear, even in retrospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Oh, but they do! I mean, probably not in real life, but I've seen this quite a few times. This is why that scene made me laugh, because it's supposed to be the other way around - the guy is about to go off to a war of something, and he tells the girl "I have something to tell you when I come back." I'm sure TVTropes has a spiffy name for this with some examples.
This trope is for fulfilled lovers, though, its for people who are explicitly stated to be in love with one another with no doubt in either about the other. That's hardly the case here because the story has never made that jump lest it conclude its drama and render Kagura irrelevant. In this case, its a different trope: Tempting Fate.