View Single Post
Old 2009-12-27, 13:09   Link #183
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Spoiler for Tidy:
Damnit percentages. My Excel capabilities are nil, and I can't pinpoint percentages for the life of me, so I'm just going with whatever random number pops up in my head.

Shana (77%) > Tamao (23%) - I realized 5 minutes after I wrote Tamago that I spelled her name wrong. Since this isn't Jmoe, I would reckon that's a pretty good indicator of the difference in popularity between these two lovely girls....
Hanyuu (52%) > Saten (48%) - This can really go either way, and I'm not going to underestimate Saten when she's in such a popular show as Railgun. Still, Higurashi has an established fanbase, so I'm going with her on this one. Also, see below.
Nagi (60%) > Nadeko (40%) - Hayate is still quite strong as of current. But even if Bakemonogatari's is stronger, it doesn't change the fact that Nadeko existed only in, let's see, about 4 episodes. Not to mention her arc had some horrible production issues too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Hanyuu being from Higurashi didn't factor into my choice at all. I think Hanyuu will win because Hanyuu herself has shown how much power she has. Saten hasn't had any matches yet so I do base her strength on other characters from her series. Misaka was a fairly weak character for most of ISML 2009. She recived a massive boost thanks to Railgun but that only brought her close Hanyuu. Index and Railgun character were just that weak before Railgun came out. Saten is a popular character but she's going to be a tier of strength weaker than Misaka which in turn means she isn't close to Hanyuu. I'm sure Hanyuu has bad matches like everyone else, but it would take something like the Rozen Maiden collpase in ISML 2009 DE for Saten to have a chance. Hanyuu isn't exactly weak. Boosting Misaka to Hanyuu's level is a pretty good feat. However, it takes more than that to start pushing secondary characters into the upper tiers.
Time trudges on mercilessly, while Higurashi's fanbase (and inevitably, Hanyuu) continues to wane, and Railgun's continues to wax. In terms of character importance within their respective series then, Hanyuu is argubly even lower than Saten, such that should Railgun ever match Higurashi, theoretically Saten would have more exposure than Hanyuu herself. No matter how strong a character may seem, no doubt it's extremely hard to withstand the test of time. Sooner or later, freshmeat blood will bound to take the old one's positions.
But of course, as of this moment, Hanyuu should probably still in the lead. It's not like it's easy to flip a shrine maiden's long dress anyway!