Thread: Licensed Tamako Market
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-29, 12:34   Link #1456
Qilin
Romanticist

Not quite bad, but not quite good either. Maybe a strong 6/10 or a weak 7/10 for me.

I've already mentioned it before, but the whole prince on the island plot line was probably the weakest link of the show. Or rather, anything resembling a "plot line" simply isn't apt for a show like this. As I'm sure many here would agree, this show is at its best when it portrays the tiny realizations and discoveries that come with living one's everyday life, and I feel it should have capitalized on that strength (Anko's episodes and the beach episode are particularly notable). While these last two episodes did have plenty of potential as a setting for Tamako's character to grow, I feel that it was underutilized to give way the insertion of even more esoteric elements into the plot and an underwhelming resolution to the conflict. I feel that having to balance both comedy and SoL elements worked against it in this case.

For people expecting any romance, I don't really understand. This was never a romance-focused series to begin with. For one thing, the beach episode clearly laid out Midori's feelings toward Tamako, so I never saw it going anywhere from there (not all forms of attraction have to include getting into an exclusive relationship). Mochizou is a different case. He definitely felt underdeveloped over the course of the series, so I never expected much from him to begin with.

Now, despite all my rants about all the crazy elements mixed in, Dera has become my favorite character beyond my initial expectations. For sure, I'd say that he's likely one of the more mature and insightful members of the cast. He could very well be the author's mouthpiece, but he has style that keeps him consistently entertaining.