View Single Post
Old 2009-01-21, 22:35   Link #12
dvice

Bump

This thread is old an probably irrelevent to the original poster but I thought I should give my two cents for those who may be having the same problem.

Playing a different region dvd on your computer (PC) does not automatically change your region settings; it will prompt you to change them, but you do not have to.

There are some video programs that will allow you to play a dvd that does not match your region and it will do this without changing your region code. An example would be:

SMPlayer - Works great. Free to download.
VLC Player - Also free, but sometimes doesn't work for me when playing region 2

If you have a dvd that is a different region than your dvd player you can always burn a copy of the dvd and it will automatically be region free. It is perfectly legal to make a back up copy of dvds you own. To this end their are legal programs that strip CSS and RCE protection and region code, so that you can burn them with your regular burning programs. Some examples:

DvdDecryptor - Free to download, but no longer updated. Works for most things
AnyDvd - Always updated but typically not free to use
DvdFab - Not as good as Anydvd but still works. Also not generally free

I hope that anyone trying to watch foreign films with different region codes at least tries one of these simple methods before messing with their region setting or trying to alter their player. You only get to alter your dvdrom 5 times before it's locked and although their are ways to unlock it, they are both tedious and unnecessary.