View Single Post
Old 2008-01-16, 05:34   Link #441
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm, seems I misunderstood the meaning of ergonomics. Wonder how I managed to think that it was actually the reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
There we go. When push comes to shove, you need sights and stocks. Ergo, ergonomics are important, even in the Nanoverse. Man, it is amazing how hard people fight for the concept that ergonomics are unimportant!
Like I said not even one line further, using a mental scope like what Nanoha did can be done too. You don't need a rifle construction.

Quote:
The electronic scope is a way to compensate for a proper sight.
Which, once more, shows that you don't need a normal sight. Nanoha's shot was dead-on, despite the long distance. Did she use a rifle? No.

Quote:
Do you mean "automation"?
I did. I feel really stupid now.

Quote:
What?
This discussion started when it was suggested that rifles are easier to aim with then staffs. Nanoha suggests otherwise.

Quote:
Probably the fact it is hard to aim them is a contributor to this.
It still renders your point invalid.

Quote:
Check NanohaWiki.
English or Japanese? Because the English one is not exactly what you would call accurate. Can't read japanese though, could you quote the part?

Quote:
You must be reading a completely different paragraph from what I typed. Arc Saber is a homing attack. Sturm Felle has to be set straight down. The point is if you don't aim, you are forced to load correction or homing data, and as you clearly agree, there is a delay out there. There is a clear need, and a clear delay to accomodate it.
Arc saber doesn't exactly look homing to me, when did Fate ever control the course of the arc?

Quote:
Compare with, for example, how Teana did it in Ep1 of StrikerS. Note how fast she shifted b/w different targets, despite being a B rank. That's because she was using sights and aiming instead of fooling around with a "Torpedo Setter" trying to load gyro offsets into her weapons.
Well, of course when you have a gun you use it to aim. Do note, however, that when she uses Cross Shift, she no longer uses the gun to aim, instead using control to guide the shots towards the target.

Quote:
Long Range capability. With proper ergonomics, you can aim further and hit further, while retaining your ability to point or even spray and pray at close range.
Not always, automation can increase the accuracy as well.

Quote:
The point here is to refute the Never Miss claim made by someone other than you. You did notice I'm shooting at about 3 people.
Right, sorry.

Quote:
Actually, the fact that sights are projected for long range shots (which you agree to) kinds of takes away from "auto aiming" theories. So what really happens is that the wielder struggles to aim, wastes time loading a guidance system into his shots and/or blows time loading compensating gyro data. How this is supposed to help his concentration is unclear.
Loading a guidance system? Loading compensation gyro data? Why in the world would the user do that when he/she has a device to do that for them? A device can calculate all that in an instant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
JAs for Keroko's statement that you don't need to aim with a device, it begs asking what Nanoha was doing pointing Raging Heart at Vita when the latter was advancing on her in Episode 1 of A's.

Furthermore, the idea that you don't need to aim at close range is quite ridiculous, considering all the red dot sights being used for close quaters battle.
I'm not arguing that you don't need to aim, I'm arguing that looking down the scope of a magic rifle is more efficient at aiming then staffs and letting the device handle stabilazations. With all the A.I. help, the difference is neglectible, really.