View Single Post
Old 2009-06-15, 01:00   Link #85
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
That's assuming you're in a polite well mannered environment. In my current job, cursing and swearing is very common especially with the field engineers. Most of us swear and curse to unwind or destress. Just to let out some of those trouble bottled in us. It's a sort of camaraderie among us.
It is very culturally-based, and by "culture" I'm really referring to "microcultures" (a work environment culture at a specific company, for example). I understand that, but I also feel that a lot of people are under the impression that it isn't a big deal - it doesn't affect anyone - everyone does it - and so on. I'm just speaking out to say that there are still some of us who are not desensitized and who do not appreciate it.

This isn't aimed at Jazzrat, but at anyone reading: if you want to know how it feels to be on the receiving end of someone who curses incessently over nearly every little thing, I can tell you. Just imagine that, instead of cursing, a person got into the habit of stating violent things that they felt the urge to do to something. Say they tripped over a cat - in anger they'd be saying, "right now I'd really love to get my knife and stab that cat a dozen times, and then I'd rip its head off and set it on fire!" Aside from being terribly disturbing, you'd probably be thinking "woah, buddy, calm down - you didn't break anything, it's not a big deal, really, don't let it ruin your day..."

When some people use strong curses over really minor things, it's somewhat similar. The cursing person comes across as being someone with a very short temper, foul mood, negative outlook, or any combination of those. It's unpleasant to witness such a person, as they highlight every little setback in life and make it seem as if each one is truly terrible. You can only wonder how far they'll go when something really bad happens.

At least, that's my take on it. If you're in company that doesn't mind cursing, go right ahead. Just be aware that not everyone appreciates it, even if they are (seemingly) in the minority.