Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Detective Conan
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-19, 10:50   Link #35
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Even if it's not the japanese licensor's making these demands on Funi (which I think it is) I think the releasing eps 53-55 right away as Vol. 2 has something to do with the TV deal they have with Cartoon Network. Those eps I believe come right after what's going to air so far on TV, and they probably don't want the show to interfere with DVD sales (I've seen this happen with other NA shows). The show starts in June and the first DVDs are out in August. It makes sense in a way. The show ends, and people can start picking up the series on DVD at the point they left off when watching the show on TV.

Funi was probably just scared of having to deal with any possible copyright infringement on the name of Conan (with Conan the Barbarian or the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle estate), and took the easy way out with changing the name of the show.

As for ep count, be glad we're getting it. R2 DVD's for the show at max have 4 eps a disc. You can't get old Conan eps on DVD, they're only available from old Laserdisc, and many times on those and R2 DVD's, the episodes were released not in the same order as they were shown on Television in Japan either. So the Japanese never got it in order either.
Well, yeah, but they had some form of sense to them - in Japan, there were a few specials here and there that interupted the current storyarc/saga; the DVDs merely paired things up togethor. It's one thing to have episodes 73, 74, and 77 on the DVD if they make sense togethor - it's another to have eps. 1, 2, 3, and 4 on one DVD, and 53, 54, 55 on another. That's cutting straight across, what, two different seasons - it makes no sense.

I think the only theory presented here that I *might* be able to handle is the TV deal - FUNimation is notorious for wanting to be at least several DVDs - if not one full storyarc ahead of the Cartoon Network broadcast. I'm pretty sure that's why it's taking so long for new Yu Yu Hakusho eps to hit Toonami - FUNimation really likes having the jump on the DVDs (which is total opposite of most US licensors who like the TV exposure before the DVDs) and 52 episodes seems like just the number Cartoon Network would buy for a show that's going to air daily on AS, so I could kinda' see that. But at the same time, why not just postpone the CN airings of the episodes like they are with Yu Yu Hakusho?
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote