View Single Post
Old 2009-10-18, 01:46   Link #72
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Ever since a young age, I've had this certain understanding and I guess I could say compassion for gay people. I definitely have compassion for gay people nowadays. I'm not gay, but I do have some gay relatives, and they have given me some great insight into this whole topic.

One thing I've learned is this (and have heard from my gay relatives and heard from people I know/knew that are gay)...they didn't choose their sexuality. Their attraction to the same sex just comes naturally, due to biological factors, just like how the average person is attracted to the opposite sex. I know many people here know about this and many people believe this, as well. It is just that understanding this has had a lot with how I feel about these people and how I support fairness and equality for them. They can't help but be attracted to the same sex, so they absolutely shouldn't be discriminated for something they can't control. I should mention, I mentioned biological factors, and scientific studies have concluded that gay people (on the whole), have biological factors that make them gay. Then of course there are the freaky deaky bi-curious people who want to experiment, but they are the exception. Most people wouldn't want to try out being gay for the heck of it. Most people wouldn't wanna just "try it out"; why would they choose to put up with the bullshit gay people go through (makes sense, no?).

I think that gay couples should be allowed to marry, especially with secular based marriages. Old world views are that marriage should only be between a man and a woman, but we know a lot more about homosexuality in this day and age, and as I said earlier, most gay and bi people don't choose their sexuality like how people don't choose their skin color or eye color. So we should discriminate against them for something they don't choose? Let's start being more fair to them, I say.
I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea that some are born with the predisposition to becoming a homosexual but I most definitely believe that the environment of a growing child is more responsible for whatever orientation the child will develop. We really can't compare homosexuality with our physical features such as our eye color or our skin color. Homosexuality delves into a more deeper depth of a person's being than their superficial physical traits. But then again you only got insight from your gay relatives.

I strongly believe though that people such as homosexuals don't really have a choice to what orientation they develop. We really can't blame a homosexual if his/her same sex parent failed to be there for their child. The failure of establishing relationships with the same sex parent is also a known cause for a person to develop same sex attraction. We can't pin all the blame on the homosexual if he/she failed to attain same sex friends when they were young or if they identified more with peers of the opposite sex.

Someone with same sex attraction can't really choose who they're attracted to but they can choose if they want to indulge in a homosexual lifestyle(which is then considered the sin in my religion). I am one of those people who believe that homosexuals can change their gender preference but I also acknowledge that it may be impossible for some. There are just some instances in life where the scars are rooted too deeply. There are a few people I know who have spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars entering those therapy sessions that offer to help change your orientation but sadly, to no avail

My heart really goes out to homosexuals but even more to the homosexuals who are struggling to change. They had to undergo alot of struggles and conflicts directed at them because of being different. I am very much against discrimination against homosexuals but I am against the gay movement which is trying to attain equal rights such as marriage. It completely warps the definition of marriage in my opinion since two important factors that should always be present in marriage is a man and a woman. It is not a problem for me if homosexuals are to live together but I don't seen the need to enforce accomodation of gay marriage.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote