View Single Post
Old 2010-05-18, 17:09   Link #10140
Kylon99

The use of '34' as a nickname actually started with Takano Miyo from Higurashi. The fans called her '34' because her first name, Mi and Yo are readings of the number 3 and 4.

In Umineko, as soon people heard the name Lambdadelta, they guessed she had some connection with Takano from Higurashi based on the Greek way of counting using their alphabet. Lambda is the 3rd letter, Delta is the 4th letter. And then when she appeared did we get the un-subtle hints at her giving her power of certainty to someone in the 'last game,' etc.

In the same way, people have surmised that Shannon is Lambdadelta's piece on the board because her name is Sayo. Once again, sa is a reading for 3 in Japanese and yo is 4 as you know.

By the way, this is how they guessed that Furfur is girl and represents Shannon since Furfur is the 34th listed demon in the Lesser Key of Solomon. As opposed to Zepar which represents Kanon since his name, Yoshiya can be -> 4 + 4 + 8 = 16. Zepar being the 16th demon listed in the Key of Solomon.

If we're going for even more paranoid theories, I'm guessing that George might also be 34's pawn owing to:
- Jou + ji -> if you take sou which is a reading for 3 and shi which is a reading for 4 'jyou ji' is sooooorta close...
- That and George and Gaap's fight where Gaap mentioned something about George's power of certainty. This is probably a better clue. 8)

I was also speculating that Kumasawa Chiyo might be related because of 'Chi' and 'Yo' but... I'm not sure of 'Chi' was a reading for 3. I don't remember if I located a reading of 'chi' for 3 in nanori (name readings, which are often all over the place in Japanese.)
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote