View Single Post
Old 2011-04-24, 15:15   Link #1244
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
You sure he wasn't just hiding it? I wouldn't put it past him to have been hiding other feelings during his conversation with Cathy in Episode 11.
Hm, not really. It doesn't feel as if he was holding back that crucial information all that time. Especially since during episode 11 it would have, like really fricking important for him to tell Ranka about the Vajra on that planet, when she was departing.

Quote:
There was a blogger who argued that she probably did... his reasoning was that it would have been highly unusual for a songwriter to be allowed on set during the filming of a movie as she doesn't really have any business being there -her job is in post production. A family connection to the story would both give her a reason to want to be there and a possible reason why they'd let her be there.

At the time I wasn't sure if I entirely bought the theory, but it does make a certain amount of sense.
I am not really buying that. I think it pretty much is that Grace build a new identity for Sheryl, since I doubt that Sheryl had any ID on her when Grace picked her up. As such, Grace could have made up any background she liked for Sheryl.

Quote:
My question is whether it's more accurate than other translations. (I'm thinking in particular of one that was something along the lines of "Let's call off pretending to be lovers." Not that I think Sheryl meant that honestly, but I do wonder if that's more in line with what she was actually saying.)
It's a good question. THORA seems to have been somewhat more... liberal with their translations, rather than literal. Since it is kind of an important sentence, maybe someone who speaks Japanese can elucidate us on that particular phrase?

Quote:
Did you happen to take note of his callsign? Sagittarius One?
We had a big squee moment about it back then when the series aired. Y'know, between the worrying about the next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
I doubt that he only knows that the Vajra are mindless human killing monsters. But telling such things would not have helped his goal to rule frontier. I think the comparison with WWII is not that bad because he has the charisma to fool the people and they serve him willingly due to the current status of frontier.

And not all of the army serve him fanatically. They just did not know the truth and they were too focused on defending Frontier.
Well, I am not about to start the "Leon wasn't all that bad" brigade. I was just trying to convey that he was a bit different that then usual "Mwahaha destroy!" antagonist one tends to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
I am not saying that they have more knowledge than the writers but they have more inner sights than any other here in the forum or in this thread.
I do wonder sometimes. For them it's a job and they do and did move on for the most part. I really doubt that any of them wrote pages over pages of character analysis and discussion after they were done with their recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
I know this is a bit late, but regarding Sheryl and Alto's living arrangements:
Sheryl's independence was a point of contention between the two during their talk in episode 22. Although Sheryl accepts Alto's emotional support, she doesn't really want to be "looked after" by him. With that point in mind, karice's revelation does seem unremarkable (retrospectively speaking, of course).

There's an element of this "tension" that plays out here in episode 24 as well. ("Tension" is perhaps not the right word, but I use it here to mean being torn between two states of mind.)

Spoiler for aside, to magnus:
Yeah, it's just a bit disappointing to be suddenly disillusioned about the long-time expectation that Sheryl and Alto were living together all that time. A bit of a downer, but hey, we know how it ended and that's what important, right?