View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 12:56   Link #10466
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I think you're confusing it with the Flight Armor which is the one that actually increases her speed and agility. This gives her no boosts (well except for it not weighing her down, but the Flight Armor is better for this) something she explains to Ikaruga herself (she explains that she had been hiding her heart behind armor and since she no longer used any she could then defeat Ikaruga or some crap like that).

So no...it doesn't give her any advantages nor disadvantages. She's just suddenly stronger without armor because...Shounen logic...

I agree with Kitten, since the Tower of Heaven Arc her armors haven't really counted for much aside from her fight against Knightwalker where the whole point of the fight was Multi-Weapons vs Multi-Armors...(but even that armors is just lolsuperpower) and her fight against Midnight...which was awesome because she actually used an armor's properties to her advantage. But since then it's mostly been
Step 1: use armors and start losing
Step 2: take off all armors
Step 3: One shot the previously unbeatable opponent...
You have part of your answer right there. The Tower of Heaven arc was a large part of Erza changing her feelings and resolve. Before, she had an inner conflict, but after it was mostly cleared up. Thus, she now longer has a fear that lets subconsciously makes her hide behind armor, thus allowing her to use her "bandage" form.

Right after the Tower of Heaven Arc, we had the Thunder Palace arc, in which Erza used her normal swords and Heaven's Wheel armor to defeat Evergreen. Then Lightning Empress armor to fight Laxus (with the implication that's what she would have continued to use, had Natsu not come along). Then Heaven's Wheel again to take down 100 or 200 of those thunder balls.

In Nirvana, she used Heaven's Wheel, the robe of Remoteness to defeat Midnight.

In the Edolas arc, she fought her opposite using various armors, ending up with her "strongest" the Fairy Tail armor.

In the Tenrou Island arc, she did use her bandage armor to defeat Azuma, so I'll give you that (although in the anime she does try a bunch of other armors first). But as you can plainly see, that armor hasn't been the go-to armor for even a majority of the past arcs and fights. Erza has a lot of armors, some useful in more situations than others. By thinking tactically and using the right armor for the right situation, she overcomes her weaknesses and the opponent's strengths. Sometimes that is her bandage armor, and sometimes it isn't. And sometimes she has to cycle through a few armors to find the one that will work the best.

One last thing I'll say, to add on to a bit of what Krono said.... when Milliana said that she thought Kagura would be stronger, Milliana hadn't seen Erza's new powerup yet. So, it's quite reasonable to presume that Erza would still ultimately be stronger. In a way, some people were misled (as per Mashima's plan), into getting into the mindset of Kagura being a threat. That's what a writer has to do, build up an opponent as a serious threat, but *also* make it reasonable to have that opponent b e defeated. Mashima did an excellent job here, as several people were convinced that Kagura was stronger.

So, bravo Mashima, you did a great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
You know, the rules that applies to the characters in the manga. As long as you're one of the good guys and you have some determination, you can win and defeat anything. It doesn't matter if you're beaten to a pulp previously.

It's like playing really hard RPG, where you struggle to fight some boss. You use your special attacks, toss magic and you use items to get that HP lowered as you can. But then, suddenly, when the health bar is low, the boss uses some move that kills your party instantly, it doesn't matter if your health was full and you had defense up. Yes, Fairy Tail is just that now, only Natsu's team are the dungeon bosses.

In times like these that I admire Dragon Ball and it's strong enemies.
Fairy Tail is shonen, and I think quite a few people don't entirely know what that means. Shonen literally means "boys" and is geared for young boys. And there are specific things that young boys in Japan really like. We may call these "Shonen trappings" but including them, ensures Fairy Tail stays one of the current best selling manga.

Dragonball Z was popular for a reason. So is Bleach, and Naruto. One Piece is #1 right now for a reason. Shonen manga is THE highest selling manga genre out there.

Mashima knows this, thus you might look at it as him having to include such shonen trappings, in order to keep Fairy Tail popular. If he didn't, the manga wouldn't be as popular, and thus might get canceled.

So, honestly, I agree with you that I'm a bit tired of the cliche trappings that shonen has, but I still like this story. So I am forced to accept the trade-off, since my options are:

#1. Fairy Tail canceled.

#2. Fairy Tail continues with some shonen trappings and cliches.

Currently, I think Mashima is striking a nice balance, between having a good story with many different elements, and keeping just enough shonen cliches to keep it popular and well-selling, and thus able to continue the story.

Maybe you would rather see it canceled? I don't know. It's a valid personal choice, if someone would rather see something end, rather than continue with cliches. But Fairy Tail has had quite a number of fights and situations that didn't follow shonen cliches, so I'm willing to let the cliches pass when they happen. Your choice, is up to you.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2013-01-20 at 13:13.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote