Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Haiyore! Nyaruko-san (Xebec)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-26, 10:17   Link #649
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well checked out the first episode of this...

What the heck? H. P. Lovecraft is rolling around in his grave somewhere. It seems there's nothing sacred in Japan. This is definitely not for me. Dropped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
For as much as it warps the concepts of Lovecraft into an anime mold, it's still being respectful to them while warping. Parody, when done right, can be an excellent genre. And someone as straight-faced and hyperserious as Lovecraft was asking for someone to poke fun at him anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Lovecraft, as a writter, wasn't as straight up as you said. He was documented as being very liberal with his works and allow others to copy his ideas wholesale.

Knowing the roots of his inspirations, he even acknowledge that none of the concepts were originally his and gave credits mostly to Poe and Dunsany.

If he were alive today, I'm sure he will appreciated what Nayruko is.
Lovecraft and the gang were actually rather fond of self-parody within their own works. For example, Robert Bloch actually inserted Lovecraft as a character in "The Shambler From the Stars" and fed him to what the Call of Cthulhu game would end up calling a Star Vampire. Not to be outdone, Lovecraft then made Bloch the protagonist of "The Haunter of the Dark" and fed him to Nyarko (which is the story that gave us the Shining Trapezohedron, btw).

I doubt that Lovecraft would have appreciated a parody like Nyarko-san, but that's because of a seventy-year cultural gap making the actual content of the show head-tiltingly out of reach for him, not because of any belief that his work shouldn't be parodied.

Of course, whether a particular viewer finds Nyarko-san actually funny or not is a matter of personal taste. But I certainly don't think it's an offense to the spirit of the original Mythos work.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote