Thread: Crunchyroll Oda Nobuna no Yabō
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 23:45   Link #182
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Oh, but he DID change a very fundamental part of history. Nobuna will not be consumed with ambition of conquest at the expense of killing ANYONE that opposes her (and therefore killing what she really holds dear). Nobuna will try to unify nippon for the nation well-being, not for her thirst of power. One could argue that is what diferentiates a tyrant from a statesman.
Eh, contrary to public opinion, Nobunaga's actions really weren't that much out of social norm at time.

Family fued was common and so were the slaughters and betrayals. Takeda Shingen also had his shares of slaughters and family feud that included exiling his father and elimination his own son. Uesugi Kenshin, despite having a noble image, also have his share of criticism from peers of his periods. Interestingly, there isn't much criticism about Nobunaga that was on the record. Most of the criticism comes from the records after the Edo period and establishment of Tokugawa Shogunate.

Interesting note here is that part of Nobunaga's image was that he was often being betrayed so his is cruel to vassal. However, after his unified the Oda clan and Owari, none of the betrayals he faced were from his own clan nor Owari vassals. That is actually an unique situation compare to other Daimyo clans at time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
Why are sengoku and three kingdom adaptions so loathed overseas, if nothing else the audience must be much more accepting due to the decades of shakespearean adaptions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Because except for the Koreans, most people outside Japan and the Sinosphere aren't familiar with the period as compared to European stories/history.

That being said, I have started watching.

*Takes out her katana*

Agree, that is part of the cultural difference between East/West/MiddleEast.

Eastern Asian countries in general knows these history or at very least aware of these period.

Chinese Sengoku/Spring-Autumn, Japanese Sengoku, and Chinese Sangoku/Three-Kingdom are popular historical periods that pop the interests of countries of those region.

Anyway, episode two is great, so far, this LN adaption is better then I expected even if I've been following the LN.

I also like the detail were Inuchiyo is living next to him, when it is popular opinion that Maeda and Hideyoshi were consistently neighbors before they were given land.