Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-07-20, 23:43   Link #989
wowo

Ouu, thanks for the info Warainagara. I didn't know it was some sort of boom.
BTW, Shimotsuma Monogatari (aka Kamikaze Girls) is a freakin' awesome movie. I highly recommend it to everyone.

About Turn A Gundam... sadly, the fansubs that are released are not that good. Turn A Gundam is my favorite anime series of all time next to Utena, and I really, really wanted it to be good, but... about 40% of the lines are not just "not capturing it", but just flat out wrong. This is a fictionary example, but:

A: No! How dare you lay a hand on me!
B: We have to leave, now! Come on!
A: Ah! Father, father! I cannot leave without him!

Is translated like:

A: Don't touch me!
B: Let's go!
A: I hate you as much as my father!

About 10-20% of the lines make no sense or are just completely the opposite of what the character is saying...

Turn A Gundam is made by Yoshiyuki Tomino. What makes all his series great is not only the story and the characters, but the dialogue. Even Japanese people call his dialogue "Tomino Language" since it's so unique, and there is that "something" that gets right into your subconscious mind... it's really crazy. Really powerful. I mean, the mecha stuff is thrown in there because Bandai and Sunrise wants to make toys, not because Tomino likes them.

Anyway, his dialogues are so layered, even a native speaker can interpret his lines in several ways. I looked at some official translations of his stuff, and even those are "good" to "ok" at best. True poetry.
(BTW he did not make Gundam SEED and Gundam Wing! >_<

So maybe after Simoun, people at Simoun-Fans might want to take a look at it?
I would definitely help out, though I bet it'll take a long, long time to translate a 49 episode show. With tons of dialogues. And it's hard. Very hard.
wowo is offline   Reply With Quote