Thread: Gender Roles
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 08:43   Link #1
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Gender Roles

If there's another thread out there on the broader topic of this, I apologise for the extra thread, but I couldn't find any in here so... :L

Anyway, what got me thinking about this was that I was at school and one of my female friends tickled me. I retaliated in kind, but the guys were like "Rape!" So I stopped. At that point it wasn't really in the front of my mind since it was all playful stuff, nothing serious.

Then there's these few videos that got me thinking that I'd like to share.

I do agree with these videos. They may seem biased on their own, however they are backed by examples. Also with the deluge of feminist literature and media out there, some maleinst (lol new word) media won't hurt.

THIS IS WHAT I AM ARGUING:

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Double standards everywhere, yes, but just because they exist doesn't make them right.

It is not okay to hit anyone! It doesn't matter what they have or don't have between their legs! Violence against other people is inexcusable unless there are extreme mitigating circumstances--i.e. self-defense or the defense of other innocent people.

It's not okay to bully anyone, regardless of sex, gender, sexual orientation, style of dress, whether they wear glasses, whether they play videogames or are gigantic otaku.

It's absolutely not okay for anyone to touch anyone else in a sexual manner without their consent. That's sexual harassment at the very least. Sex doesn't matter one whit.

It's absolutely not okay for anyone to abuse their partner, regardless of whether it's a woman abusing a man, a man abusing a woman, or a gay man or lesbian abusing a partner.

These things are never okay. They just aren't. But things get twisted and warped by ridiculous double standards of gender roles and masculine/feminine identity.
So this got me thinking. Double standards have turned around. Female empowerment, while fine and dandy, has reached the point where women are expecting more of men, and less of themselves. I won't go on to massively reiterate what has been said in the videos, since I'll just start ranting, but the bottom line is: If women want equal rights, and equal jobs, and equal everything, they should also be subject to equal punishment, equal scrutiny, and equal harshness for equal crimes.

Examples of what I mean, since I'm getting misunderstood
(lol, curse my young inarticulate phrasing!)
Although I do admit I am generalising, the social constructs right now, as I see it, are permitting women to hold disdain against men who cannot hold their own in this world and also be able to support a woman. When a woman cannot do this, as I see the social pressure, it is accepted and even welcomed, as a woman who 'requires' support. This reinforces the old values that women are demure, and they require male help. And they do not! They do not ALWAYS REQUIRE support.

However, if she is in considerable strife, then YES, she is. Equally, if a man is in considerable strife, then YES, he is. WITHOUT the social stigmatism of being a bum, and not being able to support himself.

BOTH GENDERS HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS TO RECEIVE HELP IN THIS CASE, and not be prosecuted or socially pressured for "not being a man" or "being a woman."

It IS NOT okay to hit a girl. Yet when a girl hits a boy, does that make it suddenly okay? If a girl bullies a boy, insults his masculinity, is that still okay? If a girl makes a boy uncomfortable by touching his genitalia, can he, in faith of being a man, still be able to tell her to stop? If a woman engages in domestic violence against a man, can he cry, can he say he is a victim, without being called out as a liar, and being accused of domestic violence himself?

These outdated ideas that are at odds with feminism, of women not being able to hold their own, of men having to be able to support women, is what I'm arguing against - for both genders!

Now, with that in mind: thoughts?

Last edited by Khu; 2012-05-31 at 05:40. Reason: Trying to make my phrasing clearer...lol.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote