View Single Post
Old 2012-01-28, 13:04   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finally found time to catch up. I'm enjoying the story even more than I thought I would. You've done an excellent job so far. The narrative flows naturally, the choices/branching are well integrated, and Madoka stays in character for the most part.

I read all the options at first, but I decided to strictly abide by the rules to get the experience possible after the second chapter. Unfortunately for me, I'm making shitty choices. Didn't get a single opportunity choice so far and my Homura-chan affection point have dropped

If there is a forever alone ending, I'm I'll get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
1) What do you feel about the pace of the updates so far? Too fast, too slow, or just right?

2) What's your take on the length of each chapter? Too long, too short, or just right? I went with a "1 chapter = Half an episode" format, at least for the first few chapters/episodes, since it's a simple format to stick to, and I think it enables for good-sized chunks of narrative content per chapter.

3) Thus far, I've maintained a strict 1st Person Narrative from Madoka's perspective, and I have to admit I've become very comfortable with that. However, depending on how closely a reader's choices adheres to the anime, we'll eventually get into a part of the narrative where a lot of key scenes are perceived primarily from Sayaka's perspective (sometimes while Madoka is off-screen). How should I approach these scenes?:
A) Maintain a strict Madoka perspective, and have her learn about them after the fact as necessary (i.e. these scenes become 'off-camera').

B) Have Madoka narrate the Sayaka-focused scenes from a sort of omniscient third person perspective.

C) Use a Sayaka narration voice for these scenes.

D) Use my own narration voice for them.
4) There's an OC (Original Character) that I've been wondering if I should use for at least some of the branching routes of this narrative, as I think it could spice up the narrative. This OC would be based upon one of my all-time favorite anime antagonists, but he's a more conventional antagonist than Kyubey is. As such, including him would alter the flavor of Madoka Magica a little bit. Should I include him, or should I leave him out?
1) The release schedule is a bit too fast for me but it's not that big an issue. While I may not have time to read each chapter when it's released, I can always read them later on. It's not like they'll disappear.

2) Seems perfect to me.

3) A or D are the best if you want to stick to a visual novel narrative structure. A appeals to me the most as it would reduce the amount of repeated scenes from the anime.

4) It all depends on who that character is (if it's a villain I love as well then of course I want to see him!), and whether he wouldn't feel too out of place in this story. Hated the Guilty Crown crossover by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Now I'm going to once more ask people for specific feedback (this will probably be the last time I do this). This narrative is going to start branching out a lot now. There's the obvious main split of "Mami Lives" vs. "Mami Dies", and for each of those two main splits there will be different romance routes and also potential different routes when it comes to questions like "Will Madoka become a magical girl? Will Sayaka?".

In order for me to keep it all straight in my mind, I now intend to write two diverging sets of chapters - Chapter 7 on for "Mami Dies", and Chapters for a "Mami Lives" fanfic extension off of the first six chapters.

This can be formatted one of two ways:

1. I alternate between the two main diverging routes. In other words, I would make one update devoted entirely to the "Mami Lives" route and the update after that one will be devoted entirely to the "Mami Dies" route, and I would keep going back-and-forth between the two.

2. Each update I put up would be split in half with a thick bold red line highlighting the split. The top half would be devoted to "Mami Dies" route, while the bottom half is devoted to "Mami Lives" route. So you'd get some of each different main route for each update.

Which of the two formats would readers prefer?
1 would be best. It's better to keep different routes separated.

Incidentally, it might be nice to include an index in your first post, preferably broken down into multiple sections (one for the main path and one for each route). It's not necessary right now, but it will eventually be as the story progresses and the thread gets bigger.