View Single Post
Old 2009-10-01, 12:04   Link #2275
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragrantFlora View Post
This is another thing Protestants also disagree on that Peter was the first pope.I don't quite remember the exact locations mentioned, but Protestants I know said that Peter was never in Rome and his remains were found somewhere else. They also said that it's not on Peter that God, the Father would build his church on. Jesus was the rock the church was to be built on, not Peter.
Actually, academic scholars of both Catholic, Protestant (and other) persuasions recognize that the historical evidence for Peter actually being the first Pope and whether he's actually buried in Rome is very scanty and apocryphal. Its "legendary" in the true murky sense of the word.

As for the "rock"... those Protestants you mention either didn't communicate clearly or were misinformed about their own religion. Jesus himself is quoted as saying that Peter would be the foundation/rock on which the faith/church would be built. However, to be fair - here's the somewhat tortured reasoning *some* Protestants use to argue that Jesus is "the rock": http://www.wordoftruthradio.com/questions/47.html (this is an argument used by some evangelical groups).

One thing to remember when researching/learning about a religion is that frequently its own adherents have no flipping idea what they're talking about in regard to their own religion. They haven't done their homework or read their own materials. Sometimes they are cherry-picking the texts.

Also, (and this seems to be a larger and larger problem) - remember that EVANGELICALS do not speak for the entirety of Christianity, they only assert they do (much like the radical muslim groups claiming to speak for all who follow Islam when they do not). Personally, I often find it fascinatingly odd when evangelical christians quote the Old Testament much more often than the New Testament...

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-10-01 at 12:13. Reason: sorry about the double post but the subjects were totally unrelated.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote