View Single Post
Old 2012-11-01, 05:03   Link #1427
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post

However, I wonder if the more important question to ask is: why do I think that way? Why is this my instinctive reaction? Why do I expect failure? Why do some of us automatically recoil at the thought of a social system that places so much faith in a scientific diagnostic tool?

Or, to be more specific, what are the institutionalised beliefs about freedom and choice, about the relationship between science and human nature, that inform my reaction, and most importantly, where have they come from?

The reason I think these questions are important is because we ourselves often lose sight of the factors that influence the way we think. Which is where the debates in this thread come in again. I think it's been pointed out a lot earlier in this thread: the Sibyl system is like many systems in the modern world, systems that set limits on what we can do in various aspects of life. However, we don't really perceive these systems anymore - they've become so much a part of our lives that we don't question how they've been formed, or whether they actually make sense. Just like many of the characters in PSYCHO-PASS don't question how ubiquitous Sibyl is in their lives.
Precisely!

It's the fundamental basis of all philosophy, the need to always consider the assumptions, both implicit and explicit, that lead us to the conclusions we make. To always confront our own biases before we criticise those of others.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote