Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-05, 02:37   Link #415
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not familiar with the source but in the anime hero himself acts surprised when he realized "demon king" is a woman,you wouldn't be able to explain that surprise if she was named "demon queen"
Excuse me, but so friggen what?

I'd have no problem whatsoever with "Maou" being translated as "Demon King" first for people who don't know better, and then switching it to "Demon Queen" once they realize the truth. This is exactly the kind of pseudo-consistency which causes more trouble than helping things: In my world, you do NOT address clearly female persons as "King" in English. You DO NOT. Full stop.

Sometimes, in the TL/editing business, you come across things which can't be translated 1:1 without adjustments. This is one of them, and I honestly hope that Anjou will NOT adjust his work to DK. It would give me the shivers.

(Please understand though that I'm done criticizing Cyprene's decision: It's absolutely his prerogative to come to a different conclusion, and I genuinely appreciate how he took time and effort to explain his position, even if I personally strongly disagree).
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote