View Single Post
Old 2009-01-03, 14:21   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
This is starting to become a case wherein other people go "the book is better..." when they watch the movie adaptations in the theaters. Just replace "the book" with "the game" for this context.

Ah well, let's see how it goes.
Well, I'm not necessarily saying "the book is better", considering I haven't even read "the book" (i.e. the game). It's more like... if you didn't remember this was based on a game, there are a few things in this anime that seem a bit odd. But if you're an experienced RPG player, I think it'll make sense. Of the RPG-game-based anime I've seen, I'd say this is probably one of the better ones.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are some anime that "transcend" the roots of their source material, and become truly something brilliant in their own regard. In other words, you forget that it's based on a book/game/whatever for a while because the anime totally feels like its own work. In this case, though, I'm constantly reminded that this is an RPG game, and that works for me because I like RPG games. But if you were the sort of person that didn't like RPG games, I'm not sure how pulled-in to the show you would be.

Anyway, main thing is, I'm looking forward to the next episode.