View Single Post
Old 2010-11-01, 19:58   Link #93
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Passivity isn't admirable, and the mother is pretty much entirely passive. She seems to tolerate everything, but she also doesn't take an active role in anyone's lives either. She cooks and cleans the house -- pretty much a stock housewife. While the mother isn't as strict as the father, she's definitely not a friend or a confidant to Kirino either.

Until Kyousuke discovered her eroge hobby, Kirino was not close to anyone in the family. She talked with her modeling and school friends, and that's about it.
Agreed. I studied some Psychology in University, and its there that I learned about the four styles of parenting.

Now, any individual parent's parenting style won't necessarily fit nice and tidy into one of the four categories, but they do tend to at least lean more towards one of the four.

Kirino's mother strikes me as having a Permissive, or even Uninvolved, style in her parenting.

It's important, I think, to remember that a parent's first job is not to be their children's friend, but to be their children's parent. A parent that literally tolerates everything would be a bad parent. Parents should set at least some guidelines for their children.

A good parent avoids both extremes on the Authoritarian/Permissive scale. Sadly, a strong case can be made that Kirino's parents occupy the two opposite extreme ends on that scale. Her father leans a bit too strongly towards the Authoritarian parenting style, in my opinion.

Spoiler for saving space for rest of reply: