View Single Post
Old 2010-06-19, 01:27   Link #80
Antiscian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If only this had been explained.

You'd think they would, given that they felt the need to explain that ANGEL ISN'T ACTUALLY AN ANGEL WHO KNEW.
Don't the quotes from the dialogue that Eater included show that the explanation was indeed there?

I think knowledge of the person behind all this is skewing perception too much. If this were any other show, upon coming across something that seems strange, a viewer would try to think it through in context to see how it worked, or if it had any important symbolism.
It seems to me though, that too often in this show when it does something that requires a bit of thinking to get, people simply say 'yet another plot hole or inconsistency, let's roll our eyes and add another to the count'.
I'm not targeting you specifically, apologies if it seemed so; I've seen many worse examples of the phenomenon.

...Incidentally, I did feel the mass disappearance was a bit rushed as well, but it made sense.

Regarding the episode itself, it had its highlights.
Yuri's speech in class was an impressive one. I was half-expecting her to become a full-blown NPC when she was attacked by a shadow, but I suppose that would have been a bit too heavy a twist.
Personally, I liked the idea of a program made to prevent love, and how it purposely couldn't allow it to exist within the world because it needed to be something to move on from. An unorthodox take on it that I've rarely seen in anime, but fitting in the setting.
The guy in the computer room was an interesting idea as well; I got the impression he was, as mentioned, an advanced NPC created by the culprit, or some sort of projection of the program. The fact that the original culprit is already NPC'd as a 'victim' of his own program removes the sense of him as an enemy, and it's now more like Yuri is fighting against a voiceless, thoughtless system; a real sense of 'all humans are in this together, all of us trying in our own way to fight what the universe throws at us', which to me is obviously a metaphor for living our lives.

Overall, unexpected as always, and an episode that brought up a number of interesting themes I'd be hard-pressed to find elsewhere.
I'd say 9/10.