View Single Post
Old 2010-06-29, 12:32   Link #435
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
The issue I have with the event wasn't so much the fake disaster but how it was handled. There was no foreshadowing and it was a very forced event. Yes they needed some stupid disaster because they ran out of time. They certainly didn't have enough time to handle everybody like Yui and needed to get rid of everybody in a quick manner for a conclusion. There was really poor planning in regards to the narrative and where they wanted to go with the plot.
Yeah that..

If they only showed pieces and pieces of information about the shadow, or maybe about a SSS turned to NPC several episodes back. Then it would be a much more nature development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Basically, why X instead of Y? If that's the way you think, then you can take that as an excuse for anything that happens in any story. And I don't think it was seen as a noble cause at all. Rewatch Ep11. The SSS were strongly against him, but when Hinata and Yuri explained they all calmed down. Remember, she gave them the whole night to contemplate on their choice: fulfill your regrets and disappear, or fight with me. The main cast chose both -- fight with Yuri, then disappear together afterwards.
Well, yeah. But so is every forced plot device...
The point is: other than Hinata, both Yuri as leader and the other SSS as a mass surely won't simply take that option if they are not terrified by the shadow. About "noble" cause, you know the cliche screen where everyone go to meet their savior and send him farewell before the big battle, then all side characters joined him in the last minute as the fight go on? I seriously want to punch my screen there because it's too forced
They did not even meet (or wait to meet) Yuri, the person that they looked up to all the time.... It's so inconsistent there

Quote:
Besides, the Shadows are justified by Angel Player. What would a program that can digitally alter the world be making then? How would the Programmer escape insanity if he doesn't turn himself into an NPC? How would he prevent the bug from happening again if he didn't create a system to prevent and take care of it? And aside from what I have already stated, we also got first hand experience of the direness of the Love bug, and an insight into the life of an NPC, among other things. How would you convincingly show that Z is wrong when there are no dangers or disadvantages associated with it?

Or, were you perhaps hoping that the show would have continued on Otonashi's disappear 1-2 people per episode plan? Were you hoping that there would be some drama from that? I don't see the potential. Yuri would just tell them to do what they like, and it would be up to the individual SSS members to decide. This time though, there would be no way to know about the Programmer and the concept of God.
For your answers:
- They can make iron man, since everything go up and down to iron (it's more of less a joke here btw...)
- Hibernated somewhere or disappeared to somewhere or unknown. It's a very common plot for people that never appear again on screen
- A notification system (book, compact disk, that interface droid...). Or a system that let the whole school moving on instead of turning to NPCs. Or simply there's no such system. He's the only human among the NPC anyway, so Yuri must be the 1st generation since his
- Love bug is kinda lame because we had shippings everywhere, and the one which triggered it is Yuri x KanadeSSS.
- I don't think it's counted as the life of the NPCs since Yuri there clearly was not one

Disadvantages and harms? Of a forced plot device? I thought they all have the same problems. They made Otonashi looks like a Mary Sue. They cause inconsistencies in storyline and characters. They make the ending unsatisfied...etc...

A better ending is having all that minus the black shadows and Otonashi's lame plan. We concentrate more on Yuri:
a) interacting with Kanade (not because i shipped them, for your information ), learning more about what the Angel knew,
b) tracking down the source of programmer, found out a huge information about this world from previous generation, maybe while Kanede acted as guardian
c) coming back without regrets, persuading everyone to move on and have a big graduation party with actual solving of relationships (since the SSS don't look like they have much regrets anyway)
With more time, i probably can write a better c. They can stay here forever and discover the wonder of the world. It's fun to reach beyond real world and human imagination.