View Single Post
Old 2007-07-12, 16:46   Link #142
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It took me literally decades to develop a taste for daikon (I actually learned to tolerate natto faster).. but now I reach for it without hesitation.

I'll have to research the "cook bean with rice" thing.... I've heard of certain recipes that call for putting things in with the rice as it cooks but this is new to me.

O yeah, I forgot about the powdered anchovie/fishy bits and bonito flakes. I like them but my wife doesn't use them (she sarcastically calls it fish food... which it really is mostly).

The main brakestop on using shoyu (soy sauce) on rice is that people tend to use too much (it ain't ketchup). Soy sauce is like injecting sodium into your veins if over-used. Instant high blood pressure and secondary problems. It also can easily swamp other tastes in the food (like oversalting does). So if you're going to put soy sauce on your rice... measure it out, really only a few drops (1/4 teaspoon/max) are needed.

Most cultures revolve around their food in some way but its funny how fast asian culture discussions devolve into food chatter
Oh boy...rice. Personally, I know that Japanese rice is far better, but when you eat two bowls every night with a bunch of other people, you can't get something that expensive all the time. My family goes for 15-pound bags of Jasmine.

Daikon is good. Try stewing beef with them. They're awesome when they're nice, hot, and very soft with that beef taste. There's also this Southern Chinese dimsum dish called "radish cake", for which "cake" is more like "pudding." It's that salty kind of pudding, not a dessert, made of daikon radishes, flour, and Chinese pork sausages. I think at least some of you have had those before.

When I was little, my parents made prevailingly adult Chinese dishes that during that time I would not touch with a 3-foot pole. When there's nothing else palatable, I just mix in soy sauce in my standard-issue bowl of white rice, clear it out, and run away. Thus was life.

And yes, that was Chinese soy sauce, and I'm still pretty alive. Try the Lee Kum Kei brand...they're from Hong Kong and not the mainland, so they're pretty clean. You have every right to doubt mainland fare (not to mention your usual food myth), but given my current body condition, not all Chinese soy sauce brands suck.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote