Thread: Manga VS Anime!
View Single Post
Old 2004-05-21, 13:31   Link #18
ShikaShika
無罪

For an anime to be on par with the manga it was adapted off, it needs to stick close to the manga. Lots of people would probably fight me on this point but I find it to hold true in most cases. Whenever something is changed or added to the anime it very seldom benefits from it. Added scenes (refered to as filler by some) never "flesh out" the story, because there's no actual story added.

As I see it the advantages to anime is purely in looks. We get motion, color, voices and music.

And the drawbacks are all related to the actual storytelling. The pace is often screwed up by filler. (The Prince of Tennis anime can't even compare to the manga because of this, though it's understandable since they caught up with the manga. Naruto on the other hand...)

Since the anime is aimed towards children we do not only get a lot of violence and nudity cut (and to some that is a big deal), but what's probably more annoying about this is the evened out storytelling. The creators of the anime often decides that certain characters should be given more time in the anime than they had in the manga. Apart from Konohamaru in Naruto, Sakura is another example. Since she's "one of the main characters" she gets more scenes despite the fact that the mangaka doesn't give her any. During the training between the 3rd exam prels and the 3rd exam we only see her in one short scene in the manga. In the anime she's in every other episode.

As I stated above, if the anime just follows the manga closely it gets all the advantages and none of the drawbacks. (Given that it looks and sounds good, but it usually does.) If not, I'd go with storytelling over visuals anytime.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote