Thread: best anime
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-20, 14:47   Link #45
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

May the mods forgive me... but my tolerence has reached it's end.

[begins the frustrated rant...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Saint Seiya is Crap? Really? You must be part of that very small percentage of people who think that this show is crap. And I don't blame you since you may have watched it in the US and most kids in the US think it is crap. But 90% of the whole world think Saint Seiya is one the best animes ever made that's a fact. Did you know that the series ended abruptly 15 years ago? And then fans from all over the world began to send millions of letters to Toei animation so that they could continue the series? And guess what, they did! The decisive factor was that some guys in France started to draw beautiful fan art of Saint Seiya and because of that Toei though that the series may actually be very profitable once again. And it is. Europe, Asia, and Latin America have millions and millions of fans that follow the series. Currently, the series is airing again (this must be like ten times by now) from the begining in most parts of the world. Believe me you are one those rare cases

As I said before, the series has stopped airing in the US due to horrible results obtained from heavily censuring and editing. DiC and Cartoon network wanted to make this show a kids-friendly anime lol and they failed misserably.

In its original verision the anime is almost perfect in everything:

Music: Probably the best anime music ever made.

Artwork: Simply amazing in its old and new versions.

Characters and Storyline: This is the strongest part of the show.
Okay... First off, Sakuba is not a rare case. I have seen both the original uncut Saint Seiya and the edited North America version and both seriously rate amoung some of the worst tripe I've ever wasted my time watching. An anime club I'm a member of started showing the uncut original version by member request at our meetings. By episode six, all one hundred and twenty-seven attending members that night, staff not included, voted unanimously(all in favor) of never watching another episode again. Seriously, if it's that great at least one member would have voted to keep it, wouldn't they?

Do you realize that the parts of the world the show is currently airing in only amasse to roughly 65% of the world's population. Furthermore, you are assuming that every person in those countries loves and actively watches the show or is even able to watch it for that matter. Have you ever been deep into main land China? I didn't see many televisions or people with cable television last time I was there. You can't honestly believe that every person in those countries watches or even cares about the show, can you? Just because I watch a show doesn't mean I'm a fan of it, it means that I happen to watch it and nothing more. At best I'd say only a quarter of them have anything more than a passing interest in the show. Whether I miss an episode or ten matters not. 90% and your corrected 60% are both vastly incorrect, even assuming I estimated wrong, you're only looking at 15-16% tops.

Millions of fans conducting a letter writing campaign... I doubt it. Point in case; in North America, in the 60's, Star Trek was phenomenally popular. However it was cancelled at the beginning of it's third season, I think it was the third. To this date fans claim that they wrote and sent over five million letters to NBC Studios demanding the show continue. NBC Studios on the other hand has the letters on file, they kept one letter per address, and they state that the total number of individual letters they recieved was no greater fifty thousand. Odds are, when Saint Seiya was cancelled, it was the letters from the Japanese viewers that influenced their decision and not those from Europe or Latin America or even the 'beautiful fan art' from France.

You seem to know nothing of North American broadcast standards, so let me educate you. In North America you are not allowed to depict large amounts of blood in childrens shows (a drop of blood from a pricked finger or scraped knee is fine). The scenes you showed captures of were justly removed, children don't need to see a person dripping with blood in a murderous rage. There are laws in place against it and for good cause too. If blood is to be depicted it must be in a form where it cannot be directly seen as blood. Thus they make it green. Also in North America large amounts of violence or violent scenes cannot be depicted in children's shows.

(Isn't it wonderful?)

Look... He stuck his arm into that other man's chest, there's blood ozing out and he's smiling about it... No responsible parent in North America would want an impressionable child to watch this. Warner Brothers was sued over a cayote that didn't die after falling off a cliff, but somehow you think a show depicting people disemboweling and impaling each other with their bare hands would be accepted by everybody. Come On!!

Last edited by Mr_Paper; 2004-04-20 at 15:29. Reason: Fixed some spelling and grammar