View Single Post
Old 2009-06-03, 23:08   Link #1119
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
Anime is widely accepted in Japan and is a form of mainstream media (much more so than in the US). So there is really no "non-anime fan". Most Japanese knows a thing or two about anime and manga having watched or read them growing up. I had a fun chat with my professor and his wife about various manga they knew during my study abroad in Japan while their kids spend part of their morning watch PreCure...just to show how entrenched anime is in Japan.
Well, everyone watches anime when they are kids.
But most people grow up out of it, and in general treat anime as something for children.
Otaku culture is not as widly accepted as you want to think, people who are still into anime after being grown up are looked down by the majority.
Because the otaku that grew up in the 80s are now adults, there are more otaku population than before, but it's still a minority. It's still treated as a geek culture in Japan.
You're preaching to Buddha, dude. I'm an otaku generation that grew up in Japan, experienced 80s, 90s, and 2000~ era myself.
I know very well first-hand how we are preceieved in Japan, and who the fanbase are.

Anime fans/Otaku/Adults who are into anime = kimoi
This is a general stereotype, that is the reality. Just go to Japan, turn on the TV, and change the channels a few times.
You'll find many stereotype of anime fans being presented as horrible low-lifes the TV variety shows (and girls on the street) make fun of.

Sure, not everyone's anti-otaku. It's a stereotype, and anime is very popular culture while also being looked down by many.
Think of it like... Star Trek. Trekkies are often the target practice for the majority to stereotype and make fun of, yet the franchise is immensely popular at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
What about most of the Miyazaki Hayao stuff? Being theater releases they are for general audience.
And to answer Miyazaki question, it's treated as a family friendly medium, much like Disney films in US.
You don't treat Disney film audience the same as you treat Teen Aqua Force fans, or adults who read Marvel comics do you? There ya go.

Last edited by aohige; 2009-06-03 at 23:24.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote