Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-08, 00:41   Link #13551
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Despite the reinstatement of a two-thirds majority in Parliament, I see little cause for optimism for the PAP. I cannot dispute the fact that the PAP did garner the majority of the votes needed to retain its status as the Government, but neither can I overlook the drop in the PAP's winning margin; 60.2% this year, compared to 66.6% in the previous election, and 75% in the one before that. Almost across the board, even in the constituencies they've won, support for the PAP has dropped.

I never expected this election to bring about much change in the status quo, and I wasn't disappointed in that regard. But if I may venture a guess, I'd say that the younger generation of Singapore are making their presence felt; probably the first time they've ever been able to vote, they've used it to announce their dissatisfaction with the policies of the ruling party. And the young ones are just going to grow in number, while the older folks that make up the core of the PAP base will only slowly lose their numbers to the crematorium.

Writing's on the wall. Can this trend be reversed, or is it a matter of a few more Elections for real change to happen?
It doesn't really matter because the younger generation is indeed pampered by the government with good schooling, housing, access to comforts and job opportunities.

And they just pick up anything the opposition says and nod their head without using it. I wondered if the S$700 PAP gave us is for an air ticket out of Singapore should the opposition win - I fail to see credibility in any of them (especially NSP, slogans and pandering to "democracy against monopoly of power").

The party that rules isn't important. It is the younger generation and their 20-30 year plan for the future of the country that matters.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.