Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-15, 11:52   Link #15818
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A fair number of the "super-rich" *remember* that if they push too hard, the guillotines might come out. Caustic jerks like the Koch brothers think they're insulated from that scenario.

Quote:
A Virginia school district has banned a book on the legendary sleuther for how it portrays the Mormon faith.
Last week, the Albemarle County School Board removed Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's first Sherlock Holmes novel, A Study in Scarlet, from its sixth-grade reading list. Several former middle school students opposed the removal of the Victorian-era text, one calling it “the best book I have read so far,” but the mystery novel was nonetheless booted.
This is in the same vein of bullshit that gets books like Huckleberry Finn banned because it historically portrays the attitudes of the era the book is set in (e.g. the use of the words "nigger", "nigra", etc in Huck Finn's era). The Mormons have gone to a lot of trouble to sterilize their history --- a number of my ancestor's relatives were killed in the Mountain Meadows Massacre, committed by Mormons with some evidence that it was ordered/encouraged from the very top. To this day, my relatives (and I) periodically have Mormons appearing at our doorstep hoping to get sign-offs on an apology so *their* ancestors will be purified of any sin according to their heavenly process.