View Single Post
Old 2012-12-02, 14:46   Link #164
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
There's a lot more to the theme and message of SAO than just "Kirito and Asuna's story". It's not a shounen action show that's all about watching the protagonist power-up so he can face his next villain (although there is an element of that). Suguha's story offers its own commentary and perspective on the link between games and reality and how your feelings are the bridge between the two. It's a complement to the perspectives of both Kirito and Asuna, whose current situation is developing the same themes. Even though her romance was doomed from the start, the issues explored and the perspective shown is directly connected to the show's theme.

As I said before, Kirito and Asuna's story isn't auto-magically more important or more related to the theme just because they're the main characters. From a strictly pragmatic point of view, there's nothing to be gained from Asuna being captured since we know for sure that she will be reunited with Kirito in the end. So their little story arc of being separated and reunited is not magically more important than Suguha's because of who they are. It's also not pointless just because the destination is known, because that's no different in either plot thread. All three characters are important because their respective stories all revolve around the same theme and message, and that's why the three perspectives will come together in the arc's denouement.

I'm not saying you have to like it, but I think it's extremely relevant to the story they're telling... just not to the story you would rather they tell instead.
Seriously, I can't see a thing you are saying in this show and I honestly think you are reading way too much into it. What I can see are flat characters in a flat story with an even more flat vilain. This theme and message, what are they in the first place? Because i Seriously don't get. It just present in a so superficial way, that i'm even wondering why so much people take this so seriously.
And of course the Kirito Asuna story is far mor important than this onsided romance thing with Suguha. Without The situation Asuna and Kirito are in, we would not have this Show in the first place. Suguhas romance was by no means necessary to the plot and taking that away would not have changed anything to it. Heck Suguha even could have ben replaced completely with a diferent girl that has absolutely no romantic feelings for him and it still would not have changed anything. Kirito would still be the same, like everyone else too.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote