View Single Post
Old 2010-02-20, 11:54   Link #30
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Wow, all this business talk is mind-boggling. I'll try to stay out of it as much as possible because I simply do not have a business brain and as such can't fathom KyoAni's plans and actions as well as y'all here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I suspect, and admit, that what I've called viral marketing was Kadokawa and/or KyoAni's attempt to keep Haruhi more front-and-center in the anime fan's thinking. Don't let Haruhi fade due to lack of recent exposure, basically. I can certainly understand and respect that. I would have preferred it if it wasn't through teasing fans about Disappearance up to two years in advance, but since Disappearance was a movie (and not a part of a season of episodes), it seems a bit less questionable now. I mean, some big Hollywood blockbusters are, in fact, promoted up to two years in advance, I think.

All of the Haruhi references and/or seiyu use in Lucky Star might have been part of the plan here too.

Lucky Star is just a tool to promote Haruhi? I REFUSE TO ACCEEPPPTTTT~

Then again, I get your point. KyoAni's viral marketing (which you now know I call 'trolling' ) is very invasive. Judging by their past actions of deliberately advertising Disappearance that only came years later, just to keep Haruhi in the limelight, it wouldn't seem that unusual for Lucky Star to be just a promotional tool for Haruhi. Hare Hare Yukai dance? Cosplayers as Yuki, Mikuru and Haruhi? Phrases made popular in Haruhi such as megass? All check.

That being said, I'll like to defend Lucky Star in that its magic comes from the fact that it fits entirely into the original Lucky Star manga. Konata is an otaku, and thus would definitely follow the Haruhiism craze. KyoAni has been praised for their faithfulness to the original medium and I must agree, and with Lucky Star they actually went a step further by adding in new elements that, for lack of a better phrase, kills two birds with one stone. I am very impressed with KyoAni, especially after joining this forum where I find out more and more about their genius every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

A lot of animes do have that sort of humor that I hated seeing in "Meet the Spartans". Which is to say that a pop culture reference is a joke in and of itself. The idea is that just dropping a reference is supposed to be funny, even if it's not couched in a clever line or used as part of a fitting analogy or comparison. That I generally dislike, yeah.

For adapting school-based light novels and visual novels/games, KyoAni is probably the best in the business (although, even here, JC Staff and SHAFT are at least close competitors).

I know that Kaisos loves Umineko and likes Bakemonogatari.

So that's good, at least.
Looks like I have a common point with Kaisos; I'm a fan of Bakemonogatari (but keeping up with this forum is tough enough so I never visit theirs). It's hard for me to accept other studio's work because when I returned to anime it was Haruhi and Lucky Star all the way, along with their merchandise and concerts. As such, I don't know much about the other studios, but Bakemonogatari really impressed me (even though I still don't know which studio produces them). I agree with you, though; KyoAni is pretty darn good at adaptations because they stay so close to the original, even amping it up sometimes. Think 'Fumoffu'!

I hated Meet the Spartans too; there wasn't any reason to pop in those references other than the sake of getting cheap laughs. As a result, I came to dislike those animes that utilize that style of humor often. I must emphasize, though, Lucky Star works precisely because the main character is meant to know those stuff. KyoAni is pretty lucky to get Lucky Star (did I just use a pun?) because the anime itself is a good promotional gimmick for other franchises.