View Single Post
Old 2008-03-03, 09:57   Link #14
Westlo
Lets be reality

I love mecha but I grew up with it thanks to watching Robotech and Tranzor Z otherwise known as Macross and Mazinger Z which are two of the most influential mecha series period. When SBS aired Neon Genesis Evangelion on tv in prime time in Australia (8.30pm Saturday and halfway through the series they also aired it from the start at 8.30pm Monday) I got back into anime because it and also stuff like Akira, Ninja Scroll, GITS Movie & Macross Plus.

Than I got into fan sub at the start of the decade and I got to watch great stuff like The Vision of Escaflowne and Gundam 08th MS Team. RahXephon in 2002 became my #1 anime title and it hasn't lost that spot since so obviously I'm a mecha fan right?

But how do I see mecha? Is it like Kaoishin or is it like qtipbrit92? Maybe when I was younger I felt like Kaoishin but as my tastes and range expand I now see mecha the same as qtipbrit92. I no longer see mecha as a genre but as just a theme for a show. My 3 favorite early mecha titles I saw are completely different in genre really. Macross is a space opera with a love triangle, Evangelion a character development/psychological piece and Vision of Escaflowne is just a great fantasy romance. I put Escaflowne in the same basket as El Hazard, instead of someone gaining super strength they pilot a mecha instead.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote